Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Cupcake Toppers


I'm working on using up my stash of papers so when my son celebrated his 2nd birthday Jan 21 I figured I'd use my scraps and make handmade cupcake toppers! This is a perfect activity to do while your cupcakes are baking and cooling (see tutorial below).

He shares his birthday with another little boy so we decided to have a joint party. We kept it small with family only and we all seemed to enjoy ourselves more!

The top cupcake uses the January SOTM to highlight the special occasion. I cut two scallop circle at 3" and two circles at 2 1/2". I used  3D Foam Tape to add the toothpick and each side together. It was looking a little bland so I added a small dollop of Glitz Glitter Gel to each scallop.


The rest of the layers used a simple accordion flower and the Token Alphabet Stamp Set for each boy's initial.


I love the way these turned out and so did everyone else! They were a huge hit!

Below is a step-by-step tutorial on how I made them. Let me know what you think or if you've done this yourself.

1. To make these start out with eleven 1" x 12" pieces of pattern paper and twenty-two punched circles.


2. Score each one in 1/4" increments and accordion fold. Add adhesive to the ends and connect.



3.Fold into center and add strong adhesive (I used a glue gun) to adhere accordion flower to punched circle. You may need to "fight" with the paper a bit. It's OK! If you don't adhere something to the middle the flower will pop back up. 


4. Turn over and add more glue, a toothpick and the another punched circle.

5. Decorate center as desired. To keep mine simple I stamped initials using the Token Alphabet set and another punched circle.


Supplies used (all CTMH unless otherwise noted): 
Paper: You Rock (retired), American Crafts Textured Cardstock, White Daisy Cardstock, Grey Flannel Cardstock
Stamps: Token Alphabet, January SOTM
Ink: Grey Flannel, Outdoor Denim, Cranberry, Topiary
Other: Circle Punch, Glue Gun, Toothpick, 3D Foam Tape, Art Philosophy Cricut Cartridge, Glitz Glitter Gel-Bronze

No comments:

Post a Comment