Saturday, May 28, 2016

How To Put More of YOU In Your Layouts


Recently I was browsing through my scrapbooks and one thing was glaringly evident...there are very few pages about me. Yes, there are photos of me and yes, the majority of my journaling centers on my feelings and attitudes about the photos. But there isn't really anything JUST about me.


I think as story tellers we get lost in documenting everyone and everything else and forget to add a page or two about us. Maybe I'm unique in that regard but I'm guessing not. Pull out any scrapbook you've created and count how many pages are only about you. I'm guessing the number is pretty small right?

You get the idea. Why do we do that? For me personally I'm more comfortable behind the scene telling the story. I fear that I'm not interesting enough. And, I often tell myself, "You'll have time to do that layout later. First, let's document the kids baseball and soccer games before we forget!"

Didn't I start this memory keeping journey to record and document our FAMILY story? Family. As in my husband, my three kids and ME.

So, where do you start?  A lot of people choose to start at the beginning with older photos. There is certainly nothing wrong with that option. However, for me, it only reminds me of how many years I still need to record. I've decided to take a different approach and start with the current and work backwards.

Choosing what to start with may also seem like a daunting task. I know I pondered what to do for awhile. I decided to begin with a little introduction about myself in the form of a list. I chose to write about 38 things about me! Why 38? Simple. That's how old I just turned. It doesn't have to be your age. Maybe a top 5 or top 10 list would suffice. Really the number is irrelevant as long as it's about you!

I hope this inspires you to try a layout like this. Have you already made one? If so, leave me a comment with the link. I'd love to check it out!

If you'd like more ideas on creating layouts about you make sure to check out the following:

Reflections of ME
Why I Became A Consultant
Other Layout Prompts

Have a crafty day!

~Michelle

Project Recipe (all CTMH unless otherwise noted):
Paper: Georgie (X7203B), White Daisy Cardstock (1385), Watercolor Paper (Z3146)
Stamp: Celebrate with Cake (S1605)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Juniper (Z2165)
Other: Watercolor Paints (Z3132), Waterbrush Small (Z3224), Thin 3D Foam Tape (Z2060), Grey Enamel Gems (Z3089), Oceanside Sequins (retired)


No comments:

Post a Comment